If you have a cat that’s always inquisitive or a dog that likes to destroy toys as a hobby, it’s probably a smart idea to make a few easy DIY toys for them. There are many online stores that sell toys for pets, besides dog treats and food, but sometimes, it’s hard to find the right kind that is budget-friendly.
Here are some fun, easy and smart DIY you can make at home with minimal things.
- Tug toys. Making a tug toy is really simple. All you need to grab is your standard tennis ball and an old tee. Cover the tennis ball with the tee/t-shirt, and seal it inside. Now, cut the remaining tee into small fringes. You can choose to braid the fringes together, or simply roll them together and close at the end. A tug toy is ready for your dog and you to have some fun with.
- Squishy bottle toy. Dogs, in particular, love to bite things. Consider taking an empty plastic water bottle, and roll it up in a soft cloth, or an old t-shirt. Make sure you have removed the cap since it can be difficult for the pooch to chew. Now, seal the ends, and your bottle toy is ready.
- Rope ball. If you have a thick rope at home, you can make a ball out of it. It practically doesn’t require any assistance or help, but make sure that the ball is secure, because it doesn’t take long for a smart dog to chew it apart.
- Curious cat wand. Making a cat wand is really simple. Just take a long stick, preferably something smooth, and at least two to three colourful ribbons. Cut the ribbons into small strips, less than 15 inches, and stick them to the stick using duct tape. Your wand is ready to charm your cat!
- Climbing shelves. Find the oldest bookshelf, and cut it to create stairs for your cats. Your cats will love getting on top of the shelf, and it can become their favourite spot too. You can also buy engineered wood cut to order, which can be used to create ladders for your cats.
When it comes to dog biscuits, treats, food and toys, try and shop for variety. Cats and dogs love to try new things, so you can create toys and activities that are fun for these animals. DIY toys are extremely easy to make, and you can also consider this as a summer project with the kids.